A fire incident at the powerhouse of AA. Ukulhas late Tuesday morning has left three people injured and the island without power.
While three people were taken to the island’s health centre, two of them were taken in due to smoke inhalation and the other was injured while attempting to put out the fire.
Ukulhas Council’s Vice President Abdulla Firaq said the fire was put out at around 12:30 p.m., but two out of four generators at the premise were severely damaged.
He had revealed earlier that according to powerhouse staff, the fire was caused by welding sparks that originated from the roof.
Firaq said residents had used fire safety equipment on boats and in guesthouses to control the fire.
Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) said the incident was reported at around 11 a.m.
While the island’s power supply has been cut off, it should be noted that the island has a number of guesthouses which have been affected by the incident.