Maldives Broadcasting Commission (BroadCom) is in the process of taking action against Raajje TV saying that the station suspended its regular broadcast against the law.
BroadCom said, as per the Broadcasting Act, if a station plans to suspend its broadcast, the commission has to be notified 15 days prior to the suspension.
The opposition-aligned TV station temporarily suspended its regular broadcast late Thursday night after the military and BroadCom warned that media outlets that disseminate information that “threaten national security” will be shut down. According to the TV station, its broadcast was suspended for safety reasons, due to increasing threats.
Speaking to VTV, Raajje TV’s COO Hussain Fiyaz Moosa said the station has been receiving threats since it came into existence, and that last year was all about paying fines for the station. He said that since state of emergency was declared earlier this week, threats against the station increased along with efforts to shut it down.
Fiyaz said that the station was forced to suspend its broadcast due to the increasing threats against the station and its staff.
Meanwhile, Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) says that Raajje TV shut itself down after realising their own mistakes.
During a press conference at PPM office, the party’s Vice President Abdul Raheem Abdulla said that shutting down of the station is akin to admitting their own mistake.